Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Light

My thoughts and feelings were led to the memory of the day my parents told me the story of when I first started to speak. The story was about the first word I said….”Light.”
As the story goes, on the way home (one evening) from my maternal grandparents house, I said, “light” and pointed to a blinking light on top of a sign next to the River Road. That story has come to have so much more meaning to me today.
For me, light connotes direction as in someone who teaches mentors or guides. As I write this, the faces of all the lights of my life come to my mind and swell in my heart. My parents and family and my friends are lights who have taught me, directed me and guided me throughout my life.
My faith and spirituality recognizes and reveres the Light of Christ present in all of the lights of my life. The Light of Christ, the Light of Truth and Love leads us all to our awesome and loving God.
Further reflection and prayer, causes me to smile about the happy God-incidence that my Godmother’s name was Lucy and my spiritual director possesses the same name. Lucy means light. So the Light of Christ has been so present with me from birth until now, guiding me through the lights of my Godmother and my spiritual director.
I am grateful for the blessings of the lights of my life. I am grateful for the Light of Christ that has been lit in me through my Baptism.
I pray for the grace to be light to everyone around me. I pray for the grace to remember and respect the responsibility of being light and letting the Light of Christ shine through me to all.

No comments: