Friday, August 06, 2010

Transformed by Transfiguration

In the Gospel of Luke, today, Jesus takes Peter, John and James up a mountain to pray. In that experience, Jesus is transfigured before their eyes and Peter, John and James are transformed as a result of their encounter with Jesus Transfigured. We hear evidence of that in the 2nd reading, 2 Peter 1:16-19: “For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that unique declaration came to him from the majestic glory, ‘This is my Son, my beloved, with whom I am well pleased.’ We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven while we were with him on the holy mountain. Moreover, we possess the prophetic message that is altogether reliable. You will do well to be attentive to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.”
When I reflect on this, I think about and pray with a vision to see the ways and the manner in which I have been transformed by Jesus. What I learned through that reflection is that in coming to be in relationship with Jesus in realizing Jesus’ love for me, I am encouraged; I am inspired to see and be grateful for the gifts God has blessed me with. And, in and through my relationship with Jesus, my expression of love for Jesus is having the courage to use my gifts in the service and ministry for my family, friends, neighbors, co-workers—everyone and everything in my community. Everyone. What I mean by that is that I am called to serve and minister not just folks who love, support and encourage me. I am called to serve and minister with those who do not love me, who do not support or encourage me. I am called to be there for them, too. I am called to be “a lamp shining in a dark place.” Today’s Scripture affirms that but also, our Catholic Church teaches us that we receive the Light of Christ in Baptism. We are to go and shine that Light of Christ to the world.
Deeper reflection on today’s Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord brings to mind some wisdom from Drew Brees’ book, Coming Back Stronger. Brees shares about trusting God that “God can use anything for good” Whatever happens to you; whatever the adversity in your life, God can use that to do good. We have to trust God, and we have to choose to be open to God to see and be aware of the good we can do as a result of the adversity in our life. He also shares that we can choose to be positive.
Lastly, we should be aware of those folks who God puts in our lives when we are in the midst of adversity. Those people who can deliver God’s message of hope, encouragement and inspiration when we need it the most in those times of despair. Drew Brees also comments on this, too. How his friend, Lorenzo Neal told him something he really needed to hear at a low moment in his life. What I get from that is that we need to be aware and trusting of God’s message being spoken by those who really care about us. Because they can see the big picture when our adversity has blinded us or given us tunnel vision not allowing us to see the big picture.
Be in touch with the transforming power of Jesus’ love. Be aware of those who speak God’s message of encouragement. When we are transformed by God’s love, we become a transformer for others. The whole community benefits from the sharing of our God-given gifts. Let the Light of Christ shine in us and through us.

No comments: