Saturday, August 21, 2010

Remembering Daddy

This week, my brother and his oldest son and my other brother’s oldest son journeyed across the river to Vacherie to the West Bank Center to receive from Governor Jindal a medal of appreciation for my daddy’s service in the Army during WWII. The Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal was given in appreciation and gratitude to men and women who have served our country.
Though I did not personally attend, my brother and nephews relayed how nice the ceremony was and how there were many people in attendance.
My daddy loved his country and proudly served during WWII. He left Gramercy and crossed the Atlantic out of that love for and a sense of duty to his country.
He rarely spoke about the war to us as young children. When he did, often it was in the form of stories. It was his way of conveying the harsh realities of war in ways for us, kids could understand.
It was so good that my brother and nephews received the Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal for my daddy. Though my nephews never met or knew their grandfather (PawPawBB), my brother’s action of taking them to the ceremony spoke volumes as to what my daddy was about. They learned more about their grandfather by being there and accepting the Honor Medal on his behalf.
Today, I remember Daddy’s courage and bravery. I remember his sense of responsibility and duty to our country. I remember how all of those qualities grew from a core of patriotism and respect and love for his country. I remember how he endeavored to instill in me to always do the right thing.
I pray for the courage to always do the correct thing: to act and behave with integrity and to stand up and speak out when there is something wrong or be there for someone who is being hurt, mistreated, or abused.
I pray for and with my daddy. I remember him. He lives in me. He lives in the way I live out what he taught me.

No comments: