Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross

During my long commute to work, I pass Mission Church near I-55. Outside of Mission Church is a 150-foot cross which is lit from below with several spot-lights when the sun goes down. This cross is quite a sight to behold as I drive by on I-55 in the early morning darkness before sunrise. On cloudy/foggy mornings, the lighted cross screams a beacon of hope because the light from the cross shines upwards laser-beaming into the sky giving the passersby a sense of Resurrection, the other side of the cross…the other side of suffering and life-challenges.
The thought and reflection on the total picture of the Cross and the Resurrection gives me great consolation especially on those mornings when my heart is heavily burdened. I am reminded of Jesus’ Paschal Mystery. It’s not just about the cross. It’s not just about suffering. There is hope and joy in Resurrection. Our resurrections come after our journey through the suffering and challenges in our lives
Because of Jesus’ journey through suffering and death on the cross and His glorious resurrection, we can journey through our suffering and life challenges to our resurrections. We have Jesus’ model to follow. Because of our faith, we have the hope and joy of resurrection---the light at the end of the tunnel.
So while the Cross is important, the Cross is only half of the story. The other part of Jesus’ Paschal Mystery is the Resurrection, Jesus’ happy ending….and our hope.
By the way, I called Mission Church to inquire about their cross. I spoke to a wonderful woman who relayed story upon story of peoples’ experiences of their cross. …How people have often driven and parked at the base of the cross to pray. People of different Christian denominations have all been united by the consolation of that cross. What a wonderful occurrence to learn. I am not the only person receiving consolation from the Mission Church cross. Jesus unites us in and through His Paschal Mystery. AMEN!

No comments: